Monday, January 23, 2012

Project Dashboard

In this installment of my blog I am working on my dashboard. An '88 Civic dashboard is a little bulky and weighs a decent amount, roughly 15 lbs with the gauges. My plan is to lighten up the dashboard and to remove some excess wiring that I won't be needing.

Before I go further, I feel the need to mention that my '88 isn't going to be driven on the streets any longer. The chassis has over 250,000 miles on it and has quite a bit of rust. My Civic was also given to my as a birthday present many years ago so I will always have it. I don't want some idiot driver to take away my precious chassis so no more street driving it is. In light of this I don't need most of the stock amenities.

I am going to attack the dashboard in two segments- first to minimize the wiring and second to remove plastic from the back of the dashboard.

Here's what I started with....

Photobucket

This is stereo harness and cigarette lighter plug that I will be removing....

Photobucket

After cutting off the wiring loom I dissected the harness and de-pinned the wires from the fuse box plugs. It came out looking rather nice...

Photobucket

Photobucket


That didn't turn out to be that much in wiring, but what can I really expect? At least I was able get a few ounces out ha ha.

Photobucket

In the next phase I will be taking a variety of different sized hole saws and will get to work removed plastic material from the back of the dashboard. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment