Monday, February 6, 2012

Project Dashboard Continued

I finally got a chance to get away from customer cars and was able to work on my dashboard.

I started by going to Harbor Freight to get a cheap hole saw set. I found a decent set for $14.99. After I made it home I started in on the work. Here's what the back of the dashboard looks like:

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is what is now looks like swish cheesed up:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The battery died in my cordless drill so I had to stop for the evening. I made good progress. Here's a small pile from my efforts:

Photobucket

Was it worth it? My dashboard definitely feels lighter but I need to weigh it to confirm. Just by the feel from picking it up I am satisfied with the weight loss.

In the past week some new parts arrived:

Photobucket


I also wired up something that I think is rather cool. Joe, the NG ROM writer developed a ROM that has check engine light as a shift light capabilities. Due to the small size of the steering wheel, most of the tach is not visible. I had an Autometer 5" tach with a broken needle that had a good shift light on it. I removed the shift light and attached it to the gauge cluster bezel. I wired one side of the shift light to the cel wire located on the back of the gauge cluster. I grounded the other wire. In theory this should work and will allow me to watch for the light instead of staring at the tach. I think it came out nice:

Photobucket

Later this week more parts should show up. I am excited for them to arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment