Tuesday, December 31, 2013

No More VTEC ;)

I haven't had much time for Project '88 lately. I have a couple a of kids and during the holidays I try to focus on them and family stuff. Now that the Holidays are practically over, it's time for me to get back on the ball and to get some work done.

Since I have my RM cam in my possession, I need to finish up modifying my rockers and locking vtec. In previous posts I notated how I had discovered that I was in need for some longer vtec pins. I also needed to remove the spring loaded pin in the last vtec rocker to eliminate a bind that I felt when the rocker arms are locked together.

Yesterday I got to work. My Dad and I started with removing the spring loaded pin. After closer investigation we found that the spring loaded pins were held in by tiny circlips. The little clips were such a pain in the ass to get to, even with the pin pushed down. I ended up having to break the pins which took very little effort. Once the tops of the pins were off, I could get in there and remove the circlips and the rest of the pin. It took forever.

Spring Loaded VTEC Pin Removed 3 photo springpinremoved1_zps7a9dc368.jpg

Spring Loaded VTEC Pin Removed 4 photo springpinremoved2_zps416b6c58.jpg

Spring Loaded VTEC Pin Removed 1 photo springpinremoved4_zps39a141a1.jpg

Spring Loaded VTEC Pin Removed 5 photo springpinremoved3_zps8b557312.jpg

Looks like the oem vtec pins are 10mm in diameter. I need some 10mm in diameter / 40mm in length hardened steel pins to replace the oem vtec pins. Luckily I found some on eBay in just that size and diameter. I ordered those today.

Mister loves non VTEC photo MisterLovesnonVTEC_zps905fe24b.jpg

HAPPY early NEW YEAR! Track opens in 5 months. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment